BLS Logo

Follow Us

Apply for Visa to Spain
in St. Petersburg

National Study Visa

Visa for a stay of more than 90 days to carry out studies, training, internships or volunteering. It is also issued for stays " au pair ” and for conversation aids.

Study stays of up to 90 days do not require a study visa. Depending on the nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “ Schengen Visas ”).

The following family members can obtain a visa to accompany the student:

  • The spouse or common-law partner.
  • Minor or disabled children.

The student family visa does not authorize work.

Activities that allow you to obtain a study visa

  • Full-time studies in an authorized teaching center that lead to the obtaining of a degree or certificate of studies.
  • PhD studies.
  • Training activities.
  • Mobility programs for students in secondary education and/or baccalaureate in an officially recognized educational or scientific center.
  • Non-labor internships in public or private organizations or entities that cannot be included in internship visas (see “Internship visas”).
  • Volunteer services within the framework of programs that pursue objectives of general interest.
  • Programs “ au pair ”.
  • Conversation assistants.

Visa Fees in Russian rubles applicable for various visa types are listed in the table below:

Visa Category Visa Fee
Issuance or substitution of passport 2.425,00
Residence visa (national) 6.467,00
Official certification of translations (1page - 30 lines) 2.600,00
Signature certification (for each signature) 605.00
Certification of photocopies (per 1 page) 259.00
Initial permission for registration of a temporary residence permit. 884.00
Applying for a NIE tax number 795.00
Re-obtaining a NIE,
Certificate of absence of residence in Spain
Please note:
  • Payments are accepted only in rubles.
  • "The value in rubles is subject to changes associated with fluctuations in the exchange rate (euro/ruble)".
  • Only cash is accepted.
  • When applying for a visa through the BLS Visa Application Center the service fee of the Visa Application Center is additionally charged (1,188.00 rubles).
Documents necessary for the student
  • National visa application form. National visa application form Each applicant will complete in all its sections and sign a visa application. If the applicant is a minor, one of their parents will sign the application. A duly accredited representative may also sign the application.
  • Photography. A recent color passport-size photograph with a light background, taken from the front, without dark glasses, reflections, or clothing that hides the oval of the face.
  • Valid and current external passport. Original and a complete photocopy of the same. The passport must be valid, at least, for the entire duration of the intended stay and have two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago are not accepted.
  • Internal passport, and a complete copy of it
  • Proof of admission for the activity of studies, training, volunteering or practices. This must contain the exact dates of the duration of the training activity. Original and a copy of the document that proves:
    • Admission to an authorized teaching center to carry out a full-time study program.
    • Admission to a research or training center.
    • Admission to a student mobility program (in this case, proof of admission to a study center will also be provided, foster care by a family or institution and commitment of the organizer of the program to assume the expenses).
    • Admission to carry out unpaid internships based on the signing of an agreement.
    • The agreement with the organization in charge of a volunteer program.
  • Proof of the availability of financial means. Original and a copy of the documents that prove that the applicant (or his legal representative or family member who supports him) has sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of the stay and return of the student and the family members who accompany him. The minimum amount required is equivalent to 100% of the IPREM. To this amount must be added 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each additional family member. If it is proven that the accommodation has already been paid in advance for the entire stay, this amount will be reduced. You can check the updated Multiple Effects Public Income Indicator at
  • Proof of accommodation in Spain. As proof of accommodation. Those applicants who present a lease must provide a copy of the contract, a simple note (issued in the last 3 months) and a copy of the owner's ID/passport.
  • Health insurance. Original and a copy of the public or private health insurance certificate contracted with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance must cover all the risks insured by the public health system in Spain. The insurance must be valid for a minimum of one year, or cover the entire study period.
    If the applicant participates in a volunteer program, in addition to the health insurance, they will provide a copy of the civil liability insurance policy subscribed by the organization.
  • Criminal record certificate. When the duration of the studies exceeds 180 days, applicants of criminal age must present the original and a copy of the criminal record certificate issued by the country or countries of residence in the last 5 years. It must be translated into Spanish and legalized. Certificates issued in the Russian Federation, Belarus, Armenia and Uzbekistan must have the Hague apostille. Certificates issued by Turkmenistan must be signed by a diplomatic agent of the corresponding Consulate in the Russian Federation. For more information, see the Legalization and Apostille section for the documentation to be apostilled and legalized.
  • Medical certificate. Original and a copy of a medical certificate attesting that the applicant does not suffer from diseases that may have serious repercussions for public health in accordance with the International Health Regulations of 2005. It must be translated into Spanish and legalized. This certificate must be formulated in the following or similar terms: "This medical certificate certifies that Mr. / Mrs. does not suffer from any of the diseases that may have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the international health regulations of 2005”.
  • Proof of residence in the consular demarcation. Nationals and legal residents of the consular demarcation in which they reside may submit their visa application. Additionally, Russian citizens must also provide a copy of their internal passport, which contains personal data and notes on their registration, as well as their marital status (for people over 14 years of age). Legal residents must provide documentation proving their residence (residence permit or valid visa).
  • Evidence of the representative's identity and capacity. If the applicant is a minor, a copy of the identity document or passport of the parent and the document that proves the relationship must be presented. The originals will be shown at the time of submitting the application. If the visa is requested through a representative, a copy of the identity document or passport of the representative and the power of attorney or document proving the representation must be presented. The originals will show at the time of submitting the application. It must be translated into Spanish and legalized.
  • Authorization of legal representatives. If the applicant is a minor, the original and a copy of the notarial deed of the parents or guardians authorizing the minor's movement to Spain and identifying the person who will take care of the minor in Spain must be provided. It must be translated into Spanish and legalized.
  • Payment of the visa fee. It is mandatory and will be paid at the time of submitting the application. Fees will be paid in local currency and will be regularly updated based on exchange rate fluctuations. There is a complete and updated list of the most frequent rates available to the public at the Cashier's window or in National visa Fees
Underage students

For underage students, the following will also be required:

  • Student's birth certificate.
  • Notarial authorization of the parents to move to study in Spain, indicating the study center, period of stay and designated guardian who will take care of the minor.
  • Record of declarations of the tutor accepting the guardianship of the student (this will not be necessary when it is a relative, or when it is a member of the study center and so indicated in the letter from the center).
  • Copy of the guardian's identity document (DNI, Residence Card) on both sides of the document.
  • Certificate of absence of crimes of a sexual nature of the tutor, or, authorization so that they can be verified ex officio.
Documents required for family visa

For each family member accompanying the student, it will be necessary to present:

  • The documents related in the previous list with numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9,10, 11 and 14. If applicable, 12.
  • In addition, they must provide the certificates that prove the kinship relationship with the student (marriage, domestic partnership, or birth certificate, as the case may be). It must be translated into Spanish. Consult the Legalization and Apostille section for the documentation to be apostilled and legalized

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also call the applicant for a personal interview.


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from people who reside in the consular district or who are regularly in the consular district studying even if they do not have resident status.

The application for a study visa also entails an application for authorization to stay for studies.

  • Legitimate subject : The visa application will be presented personally by the interested party, or by one of his parents, if he is a minor. It can also be submitted through a duly accredited representative, if authorized for justified reasons.
  • Deadline to request the visa : The visa must be requested sufficiently in advance of the start of the studies, since the procedure involves consultations with other authorities.
  • Place of presentation : As of May 18, applications for study visas of more than 90 days must be presented at the BLS visa center.
Processing of a study visa, to carry out an "Au Pair " activity:

For the processing of a study visa, the interested party must prove compliance with the requirements set forth in article 38 of RD 557/2011. Of April 20, as well as in the Agreement of the Council of Europe of November 24, 1969 on placement "Au Pair". Specifically, the requirements are:

  • The applicant must be between the ages of 17 and 30, at the time of application.
  • To have been admitted to an authorized teaching center in Spain, to carry out a full-time program, which leads to obtaining a degree or certificate of studies.
  • Have public or private health insurance, whose premiums will be covered in half by the host family.
  • Medical certificate
  • Criminal record certificate, if the duration of the stay is greater than 6 months.
  • Pair " placement agreement, in the terms established in articles 6 to 9, and 11 of the Agreement. It is the written agreement between the parties must include:
    • Duration of the placement agreement, with a maximum of one year.
    • Participation in services or domestic tasks for a period of time not exceeding five hours a day.
    • Availability of at least one day off per week. At least one of the days off each month must be a Sunday.
    • Specification of the address in which the person placed "Au Pair " will have to share life with the host family, enjoying at the same time a degree of independence.
    • Determined amount that the placed person will receive monthly as pocket money.
    • Circumstances that allow the Placement Agreement to be denounced by either party with two weeks notice.
  • Have guaranteed the financial means necessary to cover the expenses of stay and return to the country.

APPOINTMENT. Interested parties can make an appointment to submit their application on the website:

DOCUMENTATION. The consular office, mediating justified cause and in addition to the mandatory documentation, may request the reports that are necessary to resolve the request. (For example, the content of the study plan, training or research to be carried out; accreditation of studies previously completed by the applicant; proof of payment of registration or reservation of the course or studies to be carried out, indicating the payer in the case of minors; copy of the recent simple informative note issued by the Property Registry in those cases in which a lease contract or invitation to stay at a private address is presented, etc.).

PHOTOCOPIES. It is recalled that a photocopy of each original document will be presented. The photocopies will be made after the translations have been certified and/or the documents legalized.

TRANSLATION. A translation into Spanish must be provided for all documentation submitted in a foreign language.

INTERVIEW. At any time during the processing of the file, this General Consulate may require the personal appearance of the interested party if deemed necessary.

If you have any doubts or questions regarding visas, you can contact:

NOTICE: The above information is intended to serve as an orientation to visa applicants. Although efforts are made to make it as accurate and current as possible, this Consulate General does not assume any responsibility, legal or otherwise, for its accuracy and refers to current Schengen and national regulations.

Please, submit your Application form with the new photo format, as explained below:

  • The photograph MUST be in colour and have only a white background.
  • The photograph must have been taken within the last six months.
  • The photograph must be submitted glued to the application form.
  • The photo submitted must measure: 3.5 cms x 4.5 cms with the head centred in the frame. The head (measured from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin) should measure about 3 cms.
  • The photograph must be a full-face front view in which the visa applicant is facing the camera directly.
  • In general, the applicant's head, including both face and hair, should be shown from the crown of the head to the tip of the chin on top and bottom and from hairline side-to-side. It is preferable that ears be exposed.

Please follow these instructions carefully. If the photograph presented do not meet these requirements your application will be considered incomplete.

Apply at home